I started this project in the summer of 1999. I picked it up again in
6/2001. I built a second version of the rig in 2002.
I am modifying my 17' canoe with a sailing rig. I found a 420 sail in
the trash, bought a rudder at a yard sale, and made everything else out
8/23/2002 I have finished the mast and the new adjustable mast step.
8/16/2002 I found part of a windsurfing mast in the trash at camp. I
am going to use it as my new mast. I will either have to make a new sail
or retro fit an old 420 sail to use with it though.
4/19/2002 I have decided that The boat needs some kind of anti capsize
device, such as pontoons on the sides or an out rigger/trimaran. Making
it self rescuing is beyond the scope of this project. Right now I am thinking
some kind of narrow mini surf board, or pvc pipe for the pontoons.
08/14/2001 This project has been put on hold because I am leaving for
college & I need a light weight mast.
7/05/2001 I just returned from the cape, having tested my canoe out my
canoe. It needs some modifications.
The mast is too heavy.
The leeboard needs to lock in the up position.
The Gaff's "fork" broke and needs to be repaired.
The mast step is loose and make the mast tippy.
6/25/2001 I am trying to finish the rig before I go to the cape in a